Much to homeowners’ chagrin, not all kitchen scraps flush down the garbage disposal with ease. Wait, isn’t that what garbage disposals are for? Yes and no. The cost to clear a clogged drain starts around $110, but properly disposing of kitchen waste is free and saves you from drain drama. To keep your pipes clear of debris and working as they should, avoid feeding these items to your garbage disposal.
Kitchen grease starts in liquid form, but hardens when it cools in your drain lines. Sarah Melican, office manager of highly rated All Drain Services in Dracut, Massachusetts, says to dump kitchen grease into old coffee cans or other sealed containers, and dispose of them in the trash.
Marty Rowland, owner of highly rated A & J Drain Service in Arnold, Missouri, says this includes any type of cooking oil.
Coffee grounds and eggshells
All Drain Services foreman Jose Brignoni says they get heavy when mixed with water, and can lead to a clogged pipe. Properly dispose of these in the trash, or use them in the garden.
Pasta, rice, potatoes and beans
While these items might make a delicious meal for you, they aren’t as appetizing to your drain. Brignoni says they expand when mixed with water, forming a paste-like substance, which coats the inside of the pipes.
Liquid drain cleaners
As tempting as it might be to use store-bought drain cleaners on a clogged drain, Rowland says they don’t work.
What if my sink is clogged?
Brignoni says customers often purchase or rent equipment to clear clogs, but lack the expertise, resulting in broken or damaged pipes.
“Instead of spending the extra time and money attempting to do it yourself, simply call the professionals to handle the issue safely and efficiently,” Melican says. “Our experience and technicians can clear the blockage and eliminate any unnecessary stress or headaches the same day so you can get back to your normal routine.”
More from Angie’s List:
- Which Drain Cleaning Product is Recommended?
- From the Chef: Kitchen Organization Tips
- How Pouring Grease Down the Drain Can Cost You
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve