The number of writers who have signed a letter in protest of PEN’s award to Charlie Hebdo has grown to 145—a sharp increase from the initial group of six dissenters, The New York Times reports. Signees include Junot Díaz, Lorrie Moore, Joyce Carol Oates, Eric Bogosian, and Michael Cunningham. The first six—Teju Cole, Rachel Kushner, Michael Ondaatje, Peter Carey, Francine Prose, and Taiye Selasi—withdrew as table hosts for the PEN Literary Gala, which takes place next Tuesday, May 5, at the Museum of Natural History in New York City.
PEN released a statement Thursday, April 30, in response to the 145 signatures on the protest letter:
You can access the online forum PEN created here.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time