Southpaw isn’t going to be anything like Rocky, that’s for sure—except for the boxing, the protagonist’s left-handedness, and running through morning, city streets in gray sweats. The Weinstein Company debuted a new teaser for the film Thursday, granting another look at Jake Gyllenhaal’s latest project. Billy “The Great” Hope (Gyllenhaal) is regularly bloodied and in boxing garb in these 30 seconds that also cover the rise and fall of the relationship between he and his daughter (Oona Laurence), a brooding score, a glimpse of 50 Cent, someone getting shot, and one promise: It’s going to be a stressful movie-watching experience on July 24. Antoine Fuqua (Training Day) directed the movie, while Kurt Sutter (Sons of Anarchy) and Richard Wenk (The Mechanic) wrote the script.
And if you’re wondering how exactly Gyllenhaal got his body Southpaw ready, he told EW all about his workout plan.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time