“Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood” was one of the most stirring, iconic ballads Nina Simone ever sang. Now, that plea will be put to the test in a new Netflix documentary about the legendary singer’s life, What Happened, Miss Simone?
The film features archival footage of Simone performing, as well as taped interviews she gave before her death in 2003. Her daughter, Lisa Simone Kelly, signed off on the access, gave interviews herself and served as an executive producer on the movie.
The trailer, out Wednesday, promises an unblinking look at Simone as a complicated person who, as a source in the trailer says, “could get violent”—but more importantly, as a revolutionary artist of the times. What Happened, Miss Simone? debuts June 26 on Netflix.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time