Amy Schumer parodied One Direction on Inside Amy Schumer Tuesday night with a song about the cruel paradoxes of “natural beauty” in music, inspiring women to tweet selfies of their makeup-free faces.
The catchy spoof, called “Girl, You Don’t Need Makeup,” skewers pop culture’s mixed messages about makeup and natural beauty — first, the members of a One Direction-inspired boy band tell Schumer to take off her makeup because she’s “got that inner natural glow.” But as soon as she does, they tell her to put some “natural-looking makeup” back on, and “don’t go outside like that.”
Schumer also asked fans to tweet natural pictures of themselves, using #girlyoudontneedmakeup. The Internet responded quickly, with women — and even some men — sending thousands of tweets using the hashtag.
Schumer retweeted many of the selfies, and added a message to her fans on Twitter:
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State