Phoenix Mercury center Brittney Griner was arrested on Wednesday on charges of assault and disorderly conduct, according to records from the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.
Griner, who was the No. 1 pick in the 2013 WNBA draft, was taken into custody and booked into Maricopa County Jail.
Tulsa Shock forward Glory Johnson, who is Griner’s fiancee, was also arrested on charges of assault and disorderly conduct.
Griner averaged 15.6 points, 8.0 rebounds and 3.8 blocks per game last season for Phoenix en route to a second straight All-Star selection. She helped the Mercury win the WNBA title in 2014, when the team swept the Chicago Sky.
The former Baylor star averaged 15.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 6.0 blocks in two WNBA finals games last season.
- The Case for Mediocrity
- How Russia Is Recruiting Cubans to Fight in Ukraine
- Paul Hollywood Answers All of Your Questions About The Great British Baking Show
- Meet the 2023 TIME100 Next: the Emerging Leaders Shaping the World
- Oprah and Arthur C. Brooks: How to Separate Work From Your Identity
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- You Don’t Have to Like Wrestling to Love Netflix’s Excellent Wrestlers
- The Most Anticipated Books, Movies, TV, and Music of Fall 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time