Hollywood starlet Lindsay Lohan seems to be practicing her Arabic recently. On Monday, she tweeted habibi, the ubiquitous Arabic term of endearment that can translate into everything from lover to beloved. However, in a hilarious cultural gaffe, that tweet linked to an image on her Instagram feed which said “You’re beautiful” in English — and what nonspeakers would have assumed was the Arabic translation.
But the Arabic phrase did not read “You’re beautiful.” Instead, it said, “You’re a donkey.”
Lohan deleted the image from Instagram shortly thereafter, but not before social media was abuzz with the predictable mirth.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears