Hollywood starlet Lindsay Lohan seems to be practicing her Arabic recently. On Monday, she tweeted habibi, the ubiquitous Arabic term of endearment that can translate into everything from lover to beloved. However, in a hilarious cultural gaffe, that tweet linked to an image on her Instagram feed which said “You’re beautiful” in English — and what nonspeakers would have assumed was the Arabic translation.
But the Arabic phrase did not read “You’re beautiful.” Instead, it said, “You’re a donkey.”
Lohan deleted the image from Instagram shortly thereafter, but not before social media was abuzz with the predictable mirth.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer