John Green says the latest adaptation of one of his bestselling novels is much more amusing than its somewhat serious trailer would suggest.
The trailer for Paper Towns, due for release July 24, surprised some fans with a somber tone as the book is a funnier read than ‘The Fault in Our Stars,’ his quirky romance about a cancer-stricken teen which was made into a hit movie in 2014.
But Green, speaking at the TIME 100 Gala on Tuesday, explained the first promo was a false alarm. “They have to market a movie that is in some ways a follow-up to The Fault in Our Stars but is a very tonally different film.”
But the author added audiences will get to see the amusing side soon. “There’s a new trailer in two weeks that should make you feel less worried on the funny front,” he said. “The trailer can’t tell the whole point of the movie.”
Green was a TIME 100 honoree in 2014, and said the gala was a highlight of his social calendar. “It’s some of the best people watching ever.”
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best TV Shows of 2023 So Far
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk