Scotland boasts great missionary heroes, including David Livingstone and Eric Liddell of Chariots of Fire fame. Now Magnus MacFarlane-Barrow is following in their footsteps.
His organization, Mary’s Meals, will soon be feeding 1 million schoolchildren across 12 countries every day.
His work began in Bosnia, but a visit to Malawi, where a child told him his dream was having enough to eat, cemented his mission: to get thousands of girls and boys to come to school by providing a meal.
The impact has been breathtaking. Attendance figures have risen, by as much as 50% in some areas. And Magnus is right behind the #UpForSchool petition to get 58 million out-of-school children ages 6 to 11 into education.
This quiet-spoken father of seven won’t rest while there are children to feed and to educate and to give a chance in life.
Brown is the U.N. special envoy for global education and a former U.K. Prime Minister
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time