When I met Julianna Margulies last year, it didn’t take long to recognize a kindred spirit. It wasn’t just that we quickly began finishing each other’s sentences. It was her passion, fearlessness, empathy and an unwavering determination to make a difference in people’s lives off the screen that resonated with me.
We began talking about Erin’s Law, a bill she has been fighting to get passed that’s named after Erin Merryn, who was sexually abused as a child for years but never told anyone because she was ashamed. Julianna said, “Erin’s Law has passed in 19 states, and Erin will not stop until all 50 have it. Until we give every kid a voice.”
But you could tell Julianna isn’t going to stop either. She puts her heart and soul into every issue she cares about. She’s not afraid to dream big and do what she loves, whether it’s in her acting career, in her advocacy or being a mom. It’s because of women like Julianna that I know we can and will change the world.
Gillibrand is a U.S. Senator from New York
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out