“I never thought I could make a career out of something I enjoyed doing–something I was passionate about, something that gave me a voice, ” says Copeland, who is one of the first African Americans to be a soloist with American Ballet Theatre.
Read Nadia Comaneci on Misty Copeland for the 2015 TIME 100.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction