Mitch McConnell’s mind is a marvelous machine. He sees the whole field, instantly assessing opportunities and perils.
He is famous for his dignified reserve on Capitol Hill, but my friend is happiest tailgating at a University of Louisville football game with Elaine, his wife of 22 years, and friends from his own college days.
He is often praised for his mastery of Senate rules, his crafty procedural maneuvers and his knowledge of the Senators in his caucus.
But to focus solely on those things is to miss the larger point: that knowledge, and the whole calculating power of Mitch’s mind, is in service of a higher goal.
He loves America and our Constitution. He shares Ronald Reagan’s vision of our country as a special place, blessed by God—a “shining city on a hill”—and he works every single day, step by step, to get us closer to realizing that vision.
Boehner is the Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears