Mitch McConnell’s mind is a marvelous machine. He sees the whole field, instantly assessing opportunities and perils.
He is famous for his dignified reserve on Capitol Hill, but my friend is happiest tailgating at a University of Louisville football game with Elaine, his wife of 22 years, and friends from his own college days.
He is often praised for his mastery of Senate rules, his crafty procedural maneuvers and his knowledge of the Senators in his caucus.
But to focus solely on those things is to miss the larger point: that knowledge, and the whole calculating power of Mitch’s mind, is in service of a higher goal.
He loves America and our Constitution. He shares Ronald Reagan’s vision of our country as a special place, blessed by God—a “shining city on a hill”—and he works every single day, step by step, to get us closer to realizing that vision.
Boehner is the Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time