Jake Gyllenhaal will make his stage musical debut as geeky florist Seymour Krelborn in the upcoming Encores! Off-Center production of Alan Menken and Howard Ashman’s Little Shop of Horrors. Originally slated as a one-night-only performance, the Dick Scanlan-directed concert production will now play three performances at New York’s City Center on July 1 and 2, 2015.
Saturday Night Live’s Taran Killam will join Gyllenhaal as Orin Scrivello, better known as the sadistic dentist played by Steve Martin in the 1986 film. Ellen Greene, who originated the role of ditzy bombshell Audrey in the original stage production and film, will reprise her role, and Chuck Cooper will lend his voice to Audrey II, the carnivorous plant who tempts Seymour with promises of fame, glory, and the heart of his unrequited love, Audrey.
The cast also includes Tracy Nicole Chapman as Chiffon, Marva Hicks as Crystal, and Ramona Keller as Ronnette. Patricia Wilcox will choreograph.
Gyllenhaal last appeared on Broadway this season in the two-hander Constellations, opposite Ruth Wilson. Off Broadway, he made his debut just two and a half years ago in Roundabout’s If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet. Little Shop marks Killam’s professional stage debut, although his theater roots stretch far.
Encores!’ summer season will also include The Wild Party with Sutton Foster and A New Brain with Jonathan Groff.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy