Jake Gyllenhaal will make his stage musical debut as geeky florist Seymour Krelborn in the upcoming Encores! Off-Center production of Alan Menken and Howard Ashman’s Little Shop of Horrors. Originally slated as a one-night-only performance, the Dick Scanlan-directed concert production will now play three performances at New York’s City Center on July 1 and 2, 2015.
Saturday Night Live’s Taran Killam will join Gyllenhaal as Orin Scrivello, better known as the sadistic dentist played by Steve Martin in the 1986 film. Ellen Greene, who originated the role of ditzy bombshell Audrey in the original stage production and film, will reprise her role, and Chuck Cooper will lend his voice to Audrey II, the carnivorous plant who tempts Seymour with promises of fame, glory, and the heart of his unrequited love, Audrey.
The cast also includes Tracy Nicole Chapman as Chiffon, Marva Hicks as Crystal, and Ramona Keller as Ronnette. Patricia Wilcox will choreograph.
Gyllenhaal last appeared on Broadway this season in the two-hander Constellations, opposite Ruth Wilson. Off Broadway, he made his debut just two and a half years ago in Roundabout’s If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet. Little Shop marks Killam’s professional stage debut, although his theater roots stretch far.
Encores!’ summer season will also include The Wild Party with Sutton Foster and A New Brain with Jonathan Groff.
This article originally appeared on EW.com.
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement