A couple in their 20s and their baby son were killed when a concrete slab from a sidewalk construction project fell from a bridge onto their truck in Washington state, police said Monday night.
Police in Bonney Lake, about 15 miles southeast of Tacoma, said a contractor was working on a section of the permanent bridge barrier on State Route 410 when the entire approximately 80- to 100-foot section detached and fell Monday morning.
“It was immediately clear to all the first responders that arrived on scene that it was an unsurvivable event,” Bonney Lake Police Officer Todd Green said.
For most of…
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms