A 13-year-old surfing champion died in a shark attack off the coast of the Indian ocean island of Reunion, officials said Monday.
Elio Canestri was surfing with seven others off the west coast of the island on Sunday morning when a shark attacked, a spokesman for the island’s rescue services agency told NBC News. The shark sunk its teeth into the teen’s stomach and flung him around the water as he prepared to mount a wave, the spokesman added.
“A boat was launched very quickly, and the victim was dragged out of the sea, but he died from his wounds,” the spokesman said …
- Meet TIME’s Newest Class of Next Generation Leaders
- After Visiting Both Ends of the Earth, I Realized How Much Trouble We’re In
- Google Is Making It Easier to Remove Personal Info From Search
- Oil Companies Posted Huge Profits. Here’s Where The Cash Will Go (Hint: Not Climate)
- Column: We Asked Hundreds of Americans About Abortion. Their Feelings Were Complicated
- A Short History of the Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of the Marcos Family
- Long-Lasting Birth Control Is Already Hard to Get. Advocates Worry It May Only Get Worse
- Who Should Be on the 2022 TIME100? Vote Now