A 13-year-old surfing champion died in a shark attack off the coast of the Indian ocean island of Reunion, officials said Monday.
Elio Canestri was surfing with seven others off the west coast of the island on Sunday morning when a shark attacked, a spokesman for the island’s rescue services agency told NBC News. The shark sunk its teeth into the teen’s stomach and flung him around the water as he prepared to mount a wave, the spokesman added.
“A boat was launched very quickly, and the victim was dragged out of the sea, but he died from his wounds,” the spokesman said …
Read the rest of the story from our partners at NBC News
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space