Gwyneth Paltrow is consciously uncoupling from outrageously expensive health food for one week. The red meat-free, gluten-free GOOP queen tweeted Thursday that she will participate in the #FoodBankNYCChallenge. For seven whole days, Paltrow will eat on a Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program budget of $29 a week.
For those unfamiliar with GOOP’s eating habits, this will likely be a rude awakening. A choice quote from her book: “I’d rather smoke crack than eat cheese from a tin.” Here’s a detox menu she posted on the GOOP site. Day 1: Godzilla Native Juice, Roasted Kaocha Soup, Rice Cakes With Almond Butter and Lemongrass Chicken Banh Mi Salad. That all looks like it would cost more than $29. And that’s just one day’s worth of food.
Paltrow was roped into the challenge by friend, chef and fellow Spain road-tripper Mario Batali, a member of New York City’s Food Bank board. Batali is one of several chefs working to try to stop Congress from further cutting food stamp benefits. And it looks like Gwyneth is already learning lessons:
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving