• Health
  • toxins

3 Texans Got Sick After Eating Blue Bell Ice Cream Contaminated With Listeria

1 minute read

Three people from Texas have been added to the growing list of those who got sick with Listeria from tainted Blue Bell Creameries ice cream products.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said the three people had been hospitalized for other reasons, but then fell ill after eating Blue Bell ice cream from a plant in Oklahoma, Reuters reports.

This brings the total number of Listeria cases linked to Blue Bell up to eight; the other five were in a hospital in Kansas, and three of those people died.

Blue Bell expanded its product recall Tuesday. Listeria is a food borne-bacteria that sickens 1,600 people in the U.S. annually, according to the CDC.

Read more: How Ice Cream Gets Contaminated—And Sometimes Kills

More Must-Reads from TIME

Write to Tessa Berenson at tessa.Rogers@time.com