Barker is the author of Barking Up The Wrong Tree
Here’s what the scientific research says:
- Or just expose yourself to other cultures.
- Or stay where you are and learn their language.
- Don’t surround yourself with the color red, stick to blue.
- Get rejected.
- Buy a potted plant.
- Give the problem to someone else.
- Or pretend you’re solving problems for someone else.
- Or pretend you’re a child.
- Think about love, not sex.
- Take a break.
- And stop being so hard on yourself.
- Or frown while happy.
- But either way, be happy.
- Or a bit paranoid.
- Follow Jeremy Dean’s 6 steps.
- Add a little background noise.
- Team up with both old friends and strangers.
- And people who don’t know what they’re doing.
- But you should work toward becoming an expert.
- Don’t be too original.
- Stop brainstorming.
- Take a shower.
- Stop trying so hard.
- Watch Shrek.
- Do the unexpected.
- Look at the Apple logo.
- Get drunk.
- Stay up all night.
- Hang out with sarcastic people.
- Do everyday things in unconventional ways.
- Play video games.
- Have hope.
- Get some distance.
- Turn it into a competition.
- Don’t get paid.
- Let that mind wander (but be careful.)
- Work from home.
- Still not Picasso? Here are 29 more ways.
Join over 180,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.