Taylor Swift told her followers Thursday that her mother Andrea Finlay has cancer.
The pop star wrote a Tumblr post explaining that she had asked her mom to get a health screening for Christmas. “The results came in, and I’m saddened to tell you that my mom has been diagnosed with cancer,” Swift said in the post. “I’d like to keep the details of her condition and treatment plans private, but she wanted you to know.”
Swift added that it was important to her mom that her fans knew as well.
“She wanted you to know because your parents may be too busy juggling everything they’ve got going on to go to the doctor, and maybe you reminding them to go get checked for cancer could possibly lead to an early diagnosis and an easier battle.”
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement