Fiction writers are 10 times more likely to be bipolar. In poets it’s 40 times more likely.
Why bipolar? Research shows the highs help produce new ideas:
What about the lows? Obsessively thinking about things is connected to depression but it’s also correlated with creativity:
This rumination/perseverance connection is a double edged sword for creative people:
Should we be afraid of creative people? Are they crazy psychopaths?
Quite the opposite. Psychopaths are actually more prevalent in corporate America:
Join over 180,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating