Fiction writers are 10 times more likely to be bipolar. In poets it’s 40 times more likely.
Why bipolar? Research shows the highs help produce new ideas:
What about the lows? Obsessively thinking about things is connected to depression but it’s also correlated with creativity:
This rumination/perseverance connection is a double edged sword for creative people:
Should we be afraid of creative people? Are they crazy psychopaths?
Quite the opposite. Psychopaths are actually more prevalent in corporate America:
Join over 180,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving