Everyone, say hello to Jacob, a police horse in St. Petersburg, Fla. When he isn’t assisting his human partner, Officer Jason Hughes, with fighting crime and keeping the peace, he’s honing his skills as a painter.
Hughes had noticed that Jacob liked to grab stuff with his mouth, so he thought, “I bet if I gave him a paint brush, and put a canvas in front of it, he’d paint on it.”
As you’ll see in the above video, provided by the St. Petersburg police department, Hughes was right. Jacob is a naturally skilled painter. Why teach him to paint, though? According to Hughes, it keeps Jacob challenged and helps him develop trust with his partner.
Stay tuned for an upcoming charity exhibit featuring Jacob’s work.
- Introducing the TIME100 Climate List
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time