On Monday night’s episode of The Daily Show, Jon Stewart stood up for his successor, comedian Trevor Noah, who has been the center of “a large kerfuffle” on social media after some of his tweets were criticized for being sexist and anti-Semitic.
“I can say this without hesitation: Trevor Noah will earn your trust and respect … or not,” said Stewart, according to the Hollywood Reporter. “Just as I earned your respect … or did not.”
Stewart, who will be leaving the satirical news show later this year asked viewers to give Noah a chance.
“My experience with him is that he is an incredibly thoughtful and considerate and funny and smart individual. I think, you give him that time, and it’s going to be well worth it. I’m excited for where he’s going to take the thing.”
Read next: Meet Trevor Noah
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears