On Monday night’s episode of The Daily Show, Jon Stewart stood up for his successor, comedian Trevor Noah, who has been the center of “a large kerfuffle” on social media after some of his tweets were criticized for being sexist and anti-Semitic.
“I can say this without hesitation: Trevor Noah will earn your trust and respect … or not,” said Stewart, according to the Hollywood Reporter. “Just as I earned your respect … or did not.”
Stewart, who will be leaving the satirical news show later this year asked viewers to give Noah a chance.
“My experience with him is that he is an incredibly thoughtful and considerate and funny and smart individual. I think, you give him that time, and it’s going to be well worth it. I’m excited for where he’s going to take the thing.”
Read next: Meet Trevor Noah
Listen to the most important stories of the day.
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- How Drag Culture Inspired Ursula
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction