Queen Latifah is back in feathers and flapper dresses, but this time around, the movie is more La Vie en Rose than Chicago. HBO has released a full-length trailer for Bessie, in which Latifah stars as Bessie Smith, one of the most influential recording artists of the 1920s.
The path to becoming “The Empress of the Blues” was thorny for Smith, not only as a black entertainer but also as a bisexual woman in an imperfect marriage (Michael Kenneth Williams plays her husband, Jack Gee). The story of her struggle to stardom airs May 16 on HBO.
- Here's Where All The Strongest Hurricanes Have Hit the U.S. in the Past 50 Years
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- Here Are the 12 New Books You Should Read in October
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out