NSA leaker Edward Snowden says his disclosure of government surveillance activities have been vindicated by American awareness of the issue. John Oliver says, eh, not so much.
“I think we’re seeing something amazing, which is that if you ask the American people to make tough decisions to confront tough issues to think about hard problems, they’ll actually surprise you,” Snowden said in an interview with Oliver in Russia for Last Week Tonight.
“OK, here’s the problem,” Oliver responds. “I did ask some Americans, and boy, did it surprise me.” He went on to play clips of Americans befuddled by questions about who Snowden is.
Oliver also talked to Snowden about your naked pictures. Watch the full segment below:
Read next: Watch Norman Reedus and His Crossbow Crash SNL‘s Weekend Update
Listen to the most important stories of the day.
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement