NSA leaker Edward Snowden says his disclosure of government surveillance activities have been vindicated by American awareness of the issue. John Oliver says, eh, not so much.
“I think we’re seeing something amazing, which is that if you ask the American people to make tough decisions to confront tough issues to think about hard problems, they’ll actually surprise you,” Snowden said in an interview with Oliver in Russia for Last Week Tonight.
“OK, here’s the problem,” Oliver responds. “I did ask some Americans, and boy, did it surprise me.” He went on to play clips of Americans befuddled by questions about who Snowden is.
Oliver also talked to Snowden about your naked pictures. Watch the full segment below:
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror