A Virginia mother and father who pleaded guilty to felony child neglect after their three young kids were found locked in a cage will not serve any prison time.
Scott Suggs, 28, and Brandy Kangas, 36, of Spotsylvania County, Virginia, pleaded guilty to the three counts on March 30 after their children—ages 1, 3, and 4—were discovered behind a gate with an opening where they received food, reported NBC affiliate WWBT.
As part of their plea agreement, a judge who had given them six-year prison sentences suspended the prison time.
“Although these kids were in a nasty condition…
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow