A Texas man shot and killed his girlfriend before killing himself after a fight erupted over sharing a $500 winning scratch-off lottery ticket, according to a report.
Terry Martin, 46, shot his girlfriend, Laurice Hampton, 48, at a Fort Worth home over the weekend and then turned the gun on himself, police told the Fort Worth Star Telegram. Martin was found dead with a gunshot wound to the head. Hampton was able to dial 911 but later died at a local hospital.
“The suspect didn’t want to share [the lottery ticket] with her,” Fort Worth police officer Joe Loughman said of Martin.
Martin had previously served jail time for assaulting Hampton, according to the Star Telegram.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve