A Texas man shot and killed his girlfriend before killing himself after a fight erupted over sharing a $500 winning scratch-off lottery ticket, according to a report.
Terry Martin, 46, shot his girlfriend, Laurice Hampton, 48, at a Fort Worth home over the weekend and then turned the gun on himself, police told the Fort Worth Star Telegram. Martin was found dead with a gunshot wound to the head. Hampton was able to dial 911 but later died at a local hospital.
“The suspect didn’t want to share [the lottery ticket] with her,” Fort Worth police officer Joe Loughman said of Martin.
Martin had previously served jail time for assaulting Hampton, according to the Star Telegram.
- What We Know So Far About the Deadly Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria
- Beyoncé's Album of the Year Snub Fits Into the Grammys' Long History of Overlooking Black Women
- How the U.S. Shot Down the Alleged Chinese Spy Balloon
- Effective Altruism Has a Toxic Culture of Sexual Harassment and Abuse, Women Say
- Inside Bolsonaro's Surreal New Life as a Florida Man—and MAGA Darling
- 'Return to Office' Plans Spell Trouble for Working Moms
- 8 Ways to Read More Books—and Why You Should
- Why Aren't Movies Sexy Anymore?
- How Logan Paul's Crypto Empire Fell Apart