Indiana’s new religious freedom law, which detractors say will allow religious business leaders to legally discriminate against the gay community, has drawn criticism from high-profile voices like Ashton Kutcher, Hillary Clinton and Apple CEO Tim Cook.
The latest celebrity to weigh in: Miley Cyrus, who shared her thoughts with TIME as part of a conversation about the future of music and youth culture for an upcoming issue of the magazine. Excerpts below:
Read next: Indiana Governor Urges Clarification of Controversial Religious Freedom Law
Listen to the most important stories of the day.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement