- The military makes soldiers stand up straight for a reason; there’s an implicit connection between posture and power that has been demonstrated time and time again. Want to increase confidence? Make yourself tougher? Stand up straight.
- Know how to speak with power. Deepen your voice. Speak first. Speak often. Repeat yourself. Interrupt people. Don’t laugh.
- Elevate yourself when standing. Sit in the center during meetings. Dress appropriately. It makes a difference.
- People perceived as powerful break the rules.
Join over 161,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time