Mired in his mid-40s, docu-filmmaker Josh (Ben Stiller, below) needs a dose of emotional Viagra. He may have found a cure in the charms of 20-something Jamie (Adam Driver), whose nerdy good humor proves as stimulating as his admiration of Josh’s early work. The older man feels a youthful zest he probably missed the first time around. Or should he beware geeks bearing gifts?
While We’re Young, Noah Baumbach’s acutely acerbic comedy, may be a warning against false hope harbored by the middle-aged. Josh is an early-onset codger in hipster New York City, a kind of Forrest Grump. And not even the fond attentions of his wife (Naomi Watts) and Jamie’s (Amanda Seyfried) salve the ache.
But Baumbach has a wizened wit to match his misanthropy in his sharpest and, oddly, most buoyant outing since The Squid and the Whale in 2005. We promise you’ll have a lovely time, smiling through Josh’s pain.
This appears in the April 06, 2015 issue of TIME.
- Donald Trump Was Just Indicted. Here's What to Know About the Charges and the Case
- What Could Happen Next for Donald Trump
- Trump's Indictment Drama Showcased His Rivals' Weakness
- Inside Ukraine's Push to Try Putin For War Crimes
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- Elon Musk Signs Open Letter Urging AI Labs to Pump the Brakes
- Eliezer Yudkowsky: Pausing AI Developments Isn't Enough. We Need to Shut it All Down
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Cheryl Strayed Will Always Be Here for You
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now