Zayn Malik, one-fifth of the massively popular boy band One Direction, has left the group.
One Direction announced his departure on Facebook not long after Malik departed from their world tour because of “stress.”
“I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight,” Malik said in the statement. “I know I have four friends for life in Louis, Liam, Harry and Niall. I know they will continue to be the best band in the world.”
The band says it will continue to record as a foursome and release a fifth album this year.
The band’s full statement, from their Facebook:
Read next: Why Zayn Malik Has the Makings of a Great Solo Star
Listen to the most important stories of the day.
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space