Zayn Malik, one-fifth of the massively popular boy band One Direction, has left the group.
One Direction announced his departure on Facebook not long after Malik departed from their world tour because of “stress.”
“I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight,” Malik said in the statement. “I know I have four friends for life in Louis, Liam, Harry and Niall. I know they will continue to be the best band in the world.”
The band says it will continue to record as a foursome and release a fifth album this year.
The band’s full statement, from their Facebook:
Read next: Why Zayn Malik Has the Makings of a Great Solo Star
Listen to the most important stories of the day.
- The Inside Story of Princeton's Cinderella Run at March Madness
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement