For book fans, Fifty Shades of Grey was always going to end one way: With Ana leaving Christian. But could the film have taken things in another direction?
With the trailer for the film’s DVD release teasing an “alternate ending,” it seems possible. However, odds are that the alternate ending refers to the known debate between director Sam Taylor-Johnson and book author E L James about Ana’s final words in the film.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Johnson was in favor of Ana using the safe word “red,” while James preferred that Ana tell Christian to “stop.” In the film’s theatrical release, Ana said “stop.”
Regardless, the unrated cut promises fans more of Ana and Christian’s love story, floggers and all.
Fifty Shades of Grey will be released on Digital HD on May 1 and Blu-Ray on Friday, May 8.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve