Philip Seymour Hoffman’s last public appearance before his death on Feb. 2, 2014 was at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah in January, where he was promoting two new films, A Most Wanted Man and God’s Pocket.
It was there that this haunting tintype portrait of him was taken. The effects in the photo below are not the result of an Instagram-style filter, but rather, are the result of tintype, a process where an image is exposed onto a piece of metal to create a photograph.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time