It’s all about the way you practice the skills key to the task at hand. Research has shown that “Deep Practice” (or Deliberate Practice) is how experts train. Here is the four parts to focus on:
1) Make your practice as similar to the real life scenario as possible.
2) Don’t be passive.
Testing yourself is far better than just reviewing.
3) Practice is not just repetition.
Be ruthlessly critical and keep trying to improve on the constituent elements of the skill.
Ruthlessly critical in practice, blindly optimistic on game day. It’s irrational, but it works.
4) Practice a lot: 10,000 hours worth.
And when the big day comes, make sure you know the methods to resist choking under pressure.
Join over 161,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
Read next: What Do the Words You Use Say About You?
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer