Jamie Dornan may be known for playing sick psychopaths onscreen, but he swears he isn’treally one in real life.
“I consider myself quite lighthearted, pretty easygoing, and I keep playing sick psychopath bastards!” he told U.K.’s The Guardian in a recent interview. “It kinda worries me sometimes how comfortable I am in that zone.”
He credits one of those psychopaths with jump-starting his career: The Fall‘s Paul Spector, a loving father of two who also happens to be a serial killer.
“That show has given me everything,” he said. “It’s a serious bit of f—ing culture and just such a treat to do. I know that every opportunity I get from now on is because of The Fall.”
And then of course, there’s Christian Grey, the BDSM-obsessed billionaire at the heart of Fifty Shades of Grey, which dominated the U.S. box office Valentine’s Day weekend. He understands why the role could seem like a bad career choice, but he doesn’t regret taking it, despite rumors to the contrary.
“I knew with [director] Sam [Taylor-Johnson], and [cinematographer] Seamus McGarvey, the film would be in safe hands,” he said. “And, you know, it does no harm to be in a film that makes half a billion dollars.”
Now, he just has to figure out how to deal with the sometimes embarrassing encounters with fans. Once, Dornan took his 16-month-old daughter Dulcie to a playgroup that was coincidentally held at a cinema showing Fifty Shades. He used his little girl as a mask to cover his face so he could escape.
That doesn’t mean he’s not planning on returning for the hotly anticipatedsequels. “That was always the plan,” he said, referring to whether he’d be back for Fifty Shades 2 and 3.
He hopes to see Taylor-Johnson on board once again as well. “The plan was always for her to do them, so hopefully that will happen,” Dornan said. “But I don’t think it’s going to be imminent.”
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating