Police discovered five dead babies in a house in the south of France on Thursday after a man who lives there called to say he had found one corpse in a cooler bag. When law enforcement arrived and searched the house, they discovered the other four corpses in a large freezer.
The man’s wife was taken to the hospital to be examined, and a preliminary investigation suggests she may have recently given birth alone in the house, the New York Times reports. Neither the husband nor neighbors who had seen her recently seemed to know if she was pregnant. It’s unclear whether she is the mother of the children, and autopsies are underway to determine how the babies died.
The husband, a farmer, and wife, who works at a garden nursery, have two teenage daughters.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy