“I’ve never done this before ever and I’m really, really scared, so don’t judge too much, I guess.”
In a video posted Wednesday, body positivity advocate Matt Diaz stood up in front of the camera shirtless to reveal what losing 270 pounds really looks like, excess skin and all.
Diaz, who weighed 497 pounds at 16, has shared his journey to reach a healthier weight for the last six years. But he said that he couldn’t preach body positivity and self love any longer without showing this part of his life.
“I’m scared people won’t think I’m attractive anymore; I’m scared all the nice messages will stop,” he said. “…But I’m not going to be ashamed of who I am, not anymore.”
Diaz set up a crowdfunding campaign to raise $20,000 to fund a surgery to remove his excess skin. In just a day, he surpassed the goal. Many gave donations as small as $5, accompanied by words of encouragement.
“You are a very driven, brave young man!” a $10 donor wrote. “I know this amount is not large, but I hope this will help. Thank you for inspiring so many!”
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time