“I’ve never done this before ever and I’m really, really scared, so don’t judge too much, I guess.”
In a video posted Wednesday, body positivity advocate Matt Diaz stood up in front of the camera shirtless to reveal what losing 270 pounds really looks like, excess skin and all.
Diaz, who weighed 497 pounds at 16, has shared his journey to reach a healthier weight for the last six years. But he said that he couldn’t preach body positivity and self love any longer without showing this part of his life.
“I’m scared people won’t think I’m attractive anymore; I’m scared all the nice messages will stop,” he said. “…But I’m not going to be ashamed of who I am, not anymore.”
Diaz set up a crowdfunding campaign to raise $20,000 to fund a surgery to remove his excess skin. In just a day, he surpassed the goal. Many gave donations as small as $5, accompanied by words of encouragement.
“You are a very driven, brave young man!” a $10 donor wrote. “I know this amount is not large, but I hope this will help. Thank you for inspiring so many!”
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement