Twitter is celebrating its ninth anniversary on Saturday, and to commemorate the occasion, the social media site put together 10 of the most important tweets in its history.
The list acts as a potted history of the site, spanning early attempts to define the platform (co-founder Jack Dorsey’s first tweet; the first use of a hashtag), major news moments that played out on the service (Sohaib Athar’s observation of a helicopter over Abbottabad during the Osama bin Laden raid) and celebrity moments (Ellen Degeneres’s Oscar selfie, the most-retweeted tweet of all time).
Watch the timeline play out in the tweets below.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve