Twitter is celebrating its ninth anniversary on Saturday, and to commemorate the occasion, the social media site put together 10 of the most important tweets in its history.
The list acts as a potted history of the site, spanning early attempts to define the platform (co-founder Jack Dorsey’s first tweet; the first use of a hashtag), major news moments that played out on the service (Sohaib Athar’s observation of a helicopter over Abbottabad during the Osama bin Laden raid) and celebrity moments (Ellen Degeneres’s Oscar selfie, the most-retweeted tweet of all time).
Watch the timeline play out in the tweets below.
Read next: Old Tweets Prove Dangerous for 2016 Campaign Staffers
Listen to the most important stories of the day.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction