Twitter is celebrating its ninth anniversary on Saturday, and to commemorate the occasion, the social media site put together 10 of the most important tweets in its history.
The list acts as a potted history of the site, spanning early attempts to define the platform (co-founder Jack Dorsey’s first tweet; the first use of a hashtag), major news moments that played out on the service (Sohaib Athar’s observation of a helicopter over Abbottabad during the Osama bin Laden raid) and celebrity moments (Ellen Degeneres’s Oscar selfie, the most-retweeted tweet of all time).
Watch the timeline play out in the tweets below.
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears