Twitter is celebrating its ninth anniversary on Saturday, and to commemorate the occasion, the social media site put together 10 of the most important tweets in its history.
The list acts as a potted history of the site, spanning early attempts to define the platform (co-founder Jack Dorsey’s first tweet; the first use of a hashtag), major news moments that played out on the service (Sohaib Athar’s observation of a helicopter over Abbottabad during the Osama bin Laden raid) and celebrity moments (Ellen Degeneres’s Oscar selfie, the most-retweeted tweet of all time).
Watch the timeline play out in the tweets below.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization