Every week, you stock your fridge and pantry with the best of intentions: to cook more food at home. But every week, many foods are yanked off supermarket shelves—sometimes after you’ve already brought them home. This was a big week in headline-making food recalls but since not every recall reported by the Food and Drug Administration catches consumers’ attention, we decided to list them.
Frontier Co-op voluntarily pulled its products made with an organic garlic powder due to possible Salmonella contamination. The 39 affected product lines, like Ranch Mix Dressing and Fish Taco Seasoning, are sold under Frontier and Simply Organic brands. Though no illnesses have been reported yet, some of the product tested positive for the bacteria. Here’s the full report.
Company: Kraft Foods Group
Product: Original flavor of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dinner.
Reason: Small pieces of metal.
Kraft announced a voluntary recall of around 242,000 cases of its mac and cheese dinners due to the possibility that the packages have small pieces of metal inside. Ouch. The company has received eight complaints from consumers. Here’s the full report.
Company: Trader Joe’s Company
Product: Raw walnuts.
Company: Vitamin Cottage Natural Food Markets, Inc.
Product: Natural Grocers brand Organic Garlic Powder.
Company: First Source, LLC
Product: Wegmans Organic Walnut Halves & Pieces
No illnesses have been reported, but the company recalled the walnuts after salmonella was identified in specific grower lots. The walnut tubs were distributed in Wegmans’ 85 locations in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland, and Massachusetts. They were sold between January 27 and March 17, 2015. Here’s the full report.
Company: Giant Eagle
Product: Seasonal Cut Out Cookies
Reason: Undeclared milk content.
The company recalled lots of its Giant Eagle brand seasonal cut-out cookies (holiday themed) due to the presence of undeclared milk—an allergen—in the cookies. The cookies pose a serious risk for people who have milk-related allergies. Giant Eagle discovered the problem after customers complained about getting sick after eating the cookies. Here’s the full report.