The Democratic National Committee could hardly contain its excitement Wednesday amid news that reality television star Donald Trump has launched a presidential exploratory committee.
Holly Shulman, the DNC press secretary, issued a brief video statement summing up the party’s position on Trump’s entrance into the race:
For those who haven’t seen it, that’s the Oscar-nominated song “Everything is Awesome” from last year’s “The Lego Movie.”
The DNC statement followed with links to some of Trump’s most controversial statements, including his continued questioning of the place of President Obama’s birth, opposition to immigration reform and blaming military sexual assaults on allowing women to serve alongside men.
While Democrats are laughing, the GOP is fretting about Trump’s ability to seize the spotlight with outlandish comments. His announcement comes on the two-year anniversary of the Republican Party’s 2012 autopsy which encouraged the GOP to project a more welcoming face to voters.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- Why Trump's Call to Protest Is Flopping
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement