1. What does the world’s indifference to Syria’s horror tell us about ourselves?
By Barry Malone at Al Jazeera English on Medium
2. California has about one year of water left.
By Jay Famiglietti in the Los Angeles Times
3. Traditional democratic institutions are failing. It’s time for an upgrade.
By John Boik, Lorenzo Fioramonti, and Gary Milante in Foreign Policy
4. For the first time in four decades, the global economy grew last year, but carbon emissions didn’t. That’s huge.
By Brad Plumer in Vox
5. Can we build an Internet that includes the hearing impaired?
By Steve Friess in Time
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, D.C.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best TV Shows of 2023 So Far
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk