Emma Thompson and Kevin Kline have joined the cast of Disney’s Emma Watson-starring, live-action Beauty and the Beast. Thompson will play Mrs. Potts, voiced by Angela Lansbury in the original animated film, while Kline will play Maurice, Belle’s father. And, yes, there will be singing, so Thompson best start practicing her “tale as old as time.”
According to Disney, the movie will feature the 1991 movie’s original songs, which were written by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, and new songs written by Menken and Tim Rice. (Ashman died before the original movie was released.) Songs written by Menken and Rice, which didn’t appear in the movie, were featured in the Broadway production of the show.
The movie is due out March 17, 2017, and will be released in 3D. Per Disney, a mix of CG and live-action will be used.
Disney also confirmed that Dan Stevens will play the Beast while Luke Evans will take on the obnoxious Gaston.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- Follow the Algae Brick Road to Plant-Based Buildings
- The Education of Glenn Youngkin
- The Benefits and Challenges of Cutting Back on Meat
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in July 2022—and What's Leaving
- Women in Northern Ireland Still Struggle to Access Abortion More Than 2 Years After Decriminalization