Emma Thompson and Kevin Kline have joined the cast of Disney’s Emma Watson-starring, live-action Beauty and the Beast. Thompson will play Mrs. Potts, voiced by Angela Lansbury in the original animated film, while Kline will play Maurice, Belle’s father. And, yes, there will be singing, so Thompson best start practicing her “tale as old as time.”
According to Disney, the movie will feature the 1991 movie’s original songs, which were written by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, and new songs written by Menken and Tim Rice. (Ashman died before the original movie was released.) Songs written by Menken and Rice, which didn’t appear in the movie, were featured in the Broadway production of the show.
The movie is due out March 17, 2017, and will be released in 3D. Per Disney, a mix of CG and live-action will be used.
Disney also confirmed that Dan Stevens will play the Beast while Luke Evans will take on the obnoxious Gaston.
- The Man Who Thinks He Can Live Forever
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- Death and Desperation Take Over the World's Largest Refugee Camp
- Right-Wing's New Aim: a Parallel Economy
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- How Canada and India's Relationship Crumbled
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time