Star Wars Episode VIII, the second installment in the iconic film’s latest trilogy, will hit theaters May 26, 2017, 40 years and one day after the release of the first ever Star Wars film.
Star Wars Episode VIII will be written and directed by Rian Johnson, known for his work on the sci-fi classic Looper.
Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger shared the news about the next Star Wars film at a meeting with shareholders on Thursday, where he also shared details of another project. In December 2016, Disney will release a standalone film that explores the characters of Star Wars titled Rogue One.
There’s already a lot of star power behind the upcoming spinoff, which will be directed by Gareth Edwards of Godzilla fame and star Academy Award nominee Felicity Jones.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating