Björk’s visuals are always as provocative as her music, which is why the Icelandic icon gets a whole MOMA retrospective celebrating her work (even if said exhibit gets not-so-great reviews) — so anytime the singer adds another music video to her catalog, it’s a minor pop-culture event. In the new clip for “Lionsong,” from her most recentalbum Vulnicura, Bjork rocks the sexy alien dandelion costume she’s showed off in earlier photos, as well as some swinging-arm choreography that rivals any post-2007 Britney Spears routine. But the beating heart of the video is, well, the depiction of her own beating heart — a fitting image for an album that critics have said is a devastating account of her recent breakup.
“Björk’s character for ‘Lionsong’ had to be smooth like a spider waiting in her web and seductive like a Balinese dancer cast in bronze,” directors Inez & Vinoodh told Noisey about the video. “She is seen as if under a microscope, baring her heart while luring us inside the bloody galaxy of her own wound.”
Read Next: Björk Is Your Tour Guide: An Exclusive TIME Interview for Her MOMA Retrospective
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement