Apple says that the high-end model of its new smartwatch costs $10,000 because of the 18-karat gold case and the “exquisitely crafted bands and claps.” But the good folks at College Humor have divined the true reason the watch costs so much: so people can show off how filthy rich they are.
In a new send-up of the familiar Apple product unveiling videos, a so-called Tim Cook with a pitiful Southern accent explains what sets the Apple Watch apart from a typical Rolex.
“People will be like, ‘Doesn’t that thing costs $10,000?” he says. “Then they’ll know you have that much money.”
Check out the full mock commercial above, which also features a voiceover by an extra-British version of Jony Ive.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time