Apple says that the high-end model of its new smartwatch costs $10,000 because of the 18-karat gold case and the “exquisitely crafted bands and claps.” But the good folks at College Humor have divined the true reason the watch costs so much: so people can show off how filthy rich they are.
In a new send-up of the familiar Apple product unveiling videos, a so-called Tim Cook with a pitiful Southern accent explains what sets the Apple Watch apart from a typical Rolex.
“People will be like, ‘Doesn’t that thing costs $10,000?” he says. “Then they’ll know you have that much money.”
Check out the full mock commercial above, which also features a voiceover by an extra-British version of Jony Ive.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms