Apple says that the high-end model of its new smartwatch costs $10,000 because of the 18-karat gold case and the “exquisitely crafted bands and claps.” But the good folks at College Humor have divined the true reason the watch costs so much: so people can show off how filthy rich they are.
In a new send-up of the familiar Apple product unveiling videos, a so-called Tim Cook with a pitiful Southern accent explains what sets the Apple Watch apart from a typical Rolex.
“People will be like, ‘Doesn’t that thing costs $10,000?” he says. “Then they’ll know you have that much money.”
Check out the full mock commercial above, which also features a voiceover by an extra-British version of Jony Ive.
- The Fall of Roe and the Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- What Trump Knew About January 6
- The Ocean Is Climate Change’s First Victim and Last Resort
- Column: 6 Proven Ways to Reduce Gun Violence
- Ads Are Officially Coming to Netflix. Here's What That Means for You
- Jenny Slate on the Unifying Power of a Well-Heeled Shell Named Marcel
- Column: The FDA's Juul Ban May Not be a Pure Public Health Triumph
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State