Johnny Depp is flying back to the U.S. for surgery after injuring his hand while on location in Australia, where he is filming Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.
The Hollywood legend was not actually working at the time of the injury, the Wrap reports.
Production of the film is expected to be “minimally impacted” by Depp’s absence and the July 7, 2017, release date remains unchanged.
Shooting for the fifth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise began last month and is being directed by Espen Sandberg and Joachim Ronning.
Starring alongside Depp is Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men), Kaya Scodelario (Skins), Brenton Thwaites (Maleficent) and Golshifteh Farahani (Exodus: Gods and Kings).
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Helen Regan at email@example.com