We continue to live in a world of GIFs. We use them to talk and to mock and to react when words fail us. It may not surprise you to learn, then, that there is an awards show that celebrates GIFs specifically: the GIFYs.
After accepting votes from the public for 2014’s best GIFs in categories such as “animals,” “cats” (in a class by themselves), “weird” and “art + design,” winners were announced March 5.
The No. 1 gif, according to voters, featured President Barack Obama skateboarding. It debuted on an episode of The Tonight Show.
For comparison’s sake, 2013’s GIF of the Year featured Oprah Winfrey unleashing a swarm of angry bees upon her studio audience.
And because your day may be lacking in amusing GIFs, here also are the GIFs of the year in the categories of animal, cat, weird and art + design.
See the rest of the winners on the GIFYs’ official site.
Nominees were submitted by the general public and also hand-picked by a panel of expert GIF-ologists. The awards show itself is presented by the Los Angeles branch of ad agency Crispin Porter + Bogusky.
- Global Climate Solutions Exist. It's Time to Deploy Them
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Who The Golden Bachelor Leaves Out
- Rooftop Solar Power Has a Dark Side
- How Sara Reardon Became the 'Vagina Whisperer'
- Is It Flu, COVID-19, or RSV? Navigating At-Home Tests
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time