When performing on the streets of Sydney, busker Axel Winter noticed a man yelling hateful words about gay people. He was apparently shouting things like, “Today is the day that God hates you the most if you’re homosexual.” So Winter decided to fight back with music.
He and his bandmates moved a few yards away from the preacher and attempted to drown out his words with a cover of Cyndi Lauper’s “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.” (They switched the lyrics from “girls” to “boys.”) Their plan worked because the crowd soon began clapping and cheering and singing along. Eventually the man gave up and left, Winter said in a Facebook post.
“Thank you Sydney for taking a stand for equality,” he added.
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up