When performing on the streets of Sydney, busker Axel Winter noticed a man yelling hateful words about gay people. He was apparently shouting things like, “Today is the day that God hates you the most if you’re homosexual.” So Winter decided to fight back with music.
He and his bandmates moved a few yards away from the preacher and attempted to drown out his words with a cover of Cyndi Lauper’s “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.” (They switched the lyrics from “girls” to “boys.”) Their plan worked because the crowd soon began clapping and cheering and singing along. Eventually the man gave up and left, Winter said in a Facebook post.
“Thank you Sydney for taking a stand for equality,” he added.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow