An Atlanta police officer is under investigation after fatally shooting an unarmed naked man Monday night, according to reports.
According to the police report, officers confronted the man in the complex’s parking lot and he started to run toward them. He failed to stop when police ordered him to, and a seven-year veteran of the force shot him twice.
Police Chief Cedric Alexander told reporters it was likely the man was mentally ill.
“I believe we can make the assumption that [there] may have been some mental health experience that he might have been having,” he said.
The investigation will review whether non-fatal measures should have been used to stop the man, like pepper spray or a Taser.
- TIME's 100 Most Influential People of 2022
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up