An Atlanta police officer is under investigation after fatally shooting an unarmed naked man Monday night, according to reports.
Police were called to an apartment complex after the man started knocking on doors, removing his clothes and crawling on the ground, NBC reports.
According to the police report, officers confronted the man in the complex’s parking lot and he started to run toward them. He failed to stop when police ordered him to, and a seven-year veteran of the force shot him twice.
Police Chief Cedric Alexander told reporters it was likely the man was mentally ill.
“I believe we can make the assumption that [there] may have been some mental health experience that he might have been having,” he said.
The investigation will review whether non-fatal measures should have been used to stop the man, like pepper spray or a Taser.
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement