Johnson is in stable condition at a local hospital. He is expected to make a full recovery, according to multiple reports.
According to police, the shooting occurred just after 4 a.m. near the Florida Mall in south Orlando. The driver of the vehicle Johnson was riding in, 28-year-old Dreekins Oriko Johnson, was killed.
Authorities arrived at the scene shortly after the incident to find the driver of the vehicle dead and two other gunshot victims on a nearby sidewalk, police said. The victims told authorities another vehicle pulled up beside them at a stoplight and a passenger in that vehicle opened fire at their Jeep.
The third passenger, Reggie Johnson, was shot in the shoulder, hand and leg and was also in stable condition at a hospital. Police didn’t list the victims’ relationship and didn’t confirm the Chris Johnson involved was the NFL player, though multiplereports have stated it is him.
Johnson had been visiting his hometown of Orlando over the weekend, according to Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer.
No suspects are under arrest and no warrant has been issued for an arrest, the Orange County Sheriff’s office said in a statement.
- LeBron James Could Take Pickleball—Yes, Pickleball—to the Next Level
- It's Going to Be a Lot More Expensive to Heat Your Home This Winter. Here's What To Expect
- The U.S. Might Be the Surprising Determining Factor in the Future of Armenia
- Rapper Saucy Santana Is Opening a Door For His Community
- Here are the Biggest Moments from the TIME100 Leadership Forum and Impact Awards in Singapore
- Column: Russia Wants to Lock Ukraine Back in the Soviet Cellar
- As the Kanjuruhan Tragedy Shows, Indonesia Has Not Resolved Its Long-Standing Problem of Soccer Violence
- Here's Everything New on Netflix in October 2022
- A New Documentary Series Illuminates the History and Evolution of Queer Horror